When connecting a camera to a Mac computer, you can simply connect the camera’s USB cable to any matching USB port on the Mac. Keep in mind that USB Type-A ports are not reversible, unlike USB Type-C ports, so the cable will only go in one way. If it doesn’t insert easily, don’t force it in — you could damage it.
How do I connect an external camera to my MacBook air?
How to Connect an External Webcam to MacBook
- Plug your USB cord to the external webcam and attach it to an available USB outlet or port on the MacBook.
- Allow 10-20 seconds for your MacBook to identify the external webcam.
- Open the dedicated camera program to use the external webcam with.
How do I connect my camera to my MacBook?
Plug a USB cable into your camera. Plug the other end into one of the USB ports on your MacBook Pro. Note that USB cables for cameras feature different connectors on each end, only one of which fits the port on the camera.
Why won’t my Mac recognize my camera?
Make sure the USB or USB-C cable is properly connected to your camera and the computer. If your computer has another USB port, try plugging the cable into it. Check your camera to make sure it’s turned on and set to the correct mode for importing photos. Check your camera’s memory card for damage.
How do I use an external Camera on my Mac?
Use an external camera with apps and features
- Photo Booth: Click Camera in the menu bar, then choose your external camera.
- FaceTime: Click Video in the menu bar, then choose your external camera.
- QuickTime Player: Choose File > New Movie Recording, click the Options pop-up menu, then choose your external camera.
Why does my MacBook Air say no camera available?
But if the camera isn’t working or if there is no camera available for an app on your MacBook, you might need to allow access in the System Preferences. Open the Apple menu and go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy. Select Camera from the sidebar, then check the box next to the app you want to use.
How do I turn on the camera on my MacBook Air for FaceTime?
Turning on the camera on a Mac is easy: just start using an app that calls for photo or video. These include Photo Booth, FaceTime, Skype, and others. When you commence a Skype call or FaceTime session, or when you open the Photo Booth app, the camera will switch on automatically.